Monday, October 18, 2010

When my joystick started giving in...........

The other day I had about 20 excel workbooks to work with in a single day to complete some outstanding work in a tight timeframe. In each one of the excel workbook I was working on, there were about 20-25 worksheets. I use a joystick instead of normal mouse, and we didn't have any spare joysticks. My joystick thought that I have had enough of this and started giving in to my moves. I didn't want to increase my RSI by uisng a normal mouse. Instead I thought I will use some excel key board short cuts to work in these excel files.

Here are the shortcuts that I thought will come handy to everyone.

  • CTRL + PgUp -- To switch to the right hand side of the sheets
  • CTRL + PgDn -- To switch to the left hand side of the sheets
  • F4 -- To repeat last action in Excel (This works only in Excel, I wish it worked in word as well!)
  • CTRL + --> -- To move to the last populated cell on the right hand side
  • CTRL + <-- -- To move to the last populated cell on the left hand side
  • CTRL + down arrow -- To move to the last populated cell in the downward direction
  • CTRL + --> -- To move to the last populated cell in the upward direction.
  • If you hold down the SHIFT key as well for the above four commands the cells are selected.
  • CTRL + Spacebar -- To select an entire column in a worksheet
  • SHIFT+ Spacebar -- To select an entire row in a worksheet

All the above shortcuts helped me in doing my job quickly that day in spite of having a problem with my joystick.

No comments:

Navigating the Data Science Seas: A Journey with Microsoft Fabric

Data science is a vast and exciting field, brimming with the potential to unlock valuable insights. But like any seafaring voyage, navigatin...