Friday, April 15, 2011

ATBroker.exe

Last night when I tried to access my computer from home via Remote Desktop Connection an error came up as shown below.





This is the first time I have encountered with this error. Since I had lots of work to do I logged on to one of the servers and did my work thinking that the error will disappear when I access the actual machine in the morning. But to my surprise the error persisted when I switched on the monitor in the morning. So I tried the usual Ctrl+Alt+Delete. And there lies the familiar screen which made me relax as shown below.




So I chose the Start Task MAnager option and luckily got into the computer. But I am not sure why the error has come up. Have any of you had this error before? If so what did you do? And do you know why this error came up?

Thursday, April 07, 2011

Increasing SQL SERVER Memory

In one of our server audits it was discovered that only one third of the memory has been allocated to the sqlserver instance. Questions were asked whether multiple instances of sql server are present. But when there was no other instance of sql server running it was recommended that we increase the memory allocated to double from 10 GB to 20 GB.


The actual memory of the server was 32 GB. Here are the steps we took to achieve this.





1) RDP to the SQLServer and sign on

2) Open up SQL Server Management Studio

3) Select the SQL Server in the Object Explorer on the left

4) Right click and select Properties

5) Select Memory tab as shown below

6) Change Maximum Server Memory from 10240 to 20480

7) Click OK





Close Management Studio


As a precaution restart the server. It is better if you do it after hours.

Tuesday, April 05, 2011

I had a strange problem today. I went to the website I have developed and maintain and tried to click on the print button and expected to get a normal printout. But instead was surprised to get a blank print out with just the header and footer.


I thought I haven't changed any code why did it stop working. I just assumed that it was not working for anyone without testing on other computers. After about 15 min. I had a request from another colleague to print from some other govt. website. So I hit the print button provided on their website. Then the output was the same with the blank page being printed with just the header and the footer.


Then I have asked one of my other colleagues to print and he could print. Only then I have realised that the problem is with my print spooler.


So developers beware of this problem. You might also face this stuation at some stage.

So the following are the steps that I have taken to restart the print spooler.



  • Right click on 'My Computer' -- and choose Manage

  • From the left hand menu -- choose Services and Applications

  • Then click on Services

  • From the list that appears on the right hand side choose Print Spooler as shown below.





Stop the service and start it again.

Now the important part : If you test Print form the same browser session the print might not work. Make sure that you open a new session and print.

INSERT EXEC failed because the stored procedure altered the schema of the target table.

This morning I was trying to call a stored procedure and insert the results in a temp table using the following code  -- create table #...