Thursday, July 05, 2018

Teaching kids about databases

Every year I try to teach kids some aspects of Technology. Last year I taught Game Development using Construct 2 for a group of 12 primary and intermediate school kids. They developed 9 games and participated at a competition that involved High School kids. Two of the games got 2nd and 3rd prizes as well.
In this process I really enjoyed teaching the basics and the kids also enjoyed making the games that they liked and learned a lot.
So I was thinking of what to teach them and came up with a lot of ideas and finally settled with -- why not teach them with what I hae been doing for the last 15 years ? 
And so I came up with the course title 'Database Programming and Data Visualisations' For this I will be using the latest SQL Server Express and Power BI as the database and data visualisation tools. I have planned this to do in a span of 8 - 10 weeks.
Below is the list of topics I am going to cover for this free course.
  • Introduction to databases
  • Create an SQL database along with some tables 
  • Insert Update and Delete data 
  • Importing data
  • Querying the data using DDL statements
  • Introduction to Data Visualisation
  • Introduction to Power BI 
  • DAX basics 
  • Create Visualisations 
  • Usage of bookmarks and drillthroughs
  • Create and share dashboards based on reports in Power BI desktop
  • Using custom visuals
  • Optimise the model for Natural Language Query
I would like to make it as fun and interesting as Hamish Watsonpossible. So I look to you all for ideas to help me deliver this successfully so that they can get the fundamentals fo database basics, normalisation, relational databases and visualisation concepts right.
#sqlfamily, #powerbi, #microsoftnz
So please bring along all your creative ideas that can help me deliver this program successfully.

No comments:

Navigating the Data Science Seas: A Journey with Microsoft Fabric

Data science is a vast and exciting field, brimming with the potential to unlock valuable insights. But like any seafaring voyage, navigatin...