Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Databases and Data Visualisations Course for kids Week 1

As mentioned last week, I have started the Databases and Data Visualisations course for kids aged between 11 to 15 years yesterday.

It was a very good and fun experience teaching these kids about database concepts.  I asked each one of them what a database means to them.  Everyone had a good basic understanding of what a database meant before I showed them what it meant.  The one response that I liked from one of them was "A database is a base where you store data"

To explain about Relational Databases and Normalisation, I have asked each one of them to type in some information about their studentids names, classes, teachers and schools.

This activity proved to be useful to make them understand the concept of redundany and the disadvantages that arise out of it.  Then it was easy for me to explain about Normalisation.

I have given them home work of installing SQL Server Express on their laptops.

Since I have used Excel for their activity there arose a need for them to know more about Excel.  So I will be doing a 15 - 20 min session on Excel every week basically giving them some Excel tips.

I am looking forward for the session of Creating databases and tables using SQL Server next Monday.






No comments:

Navigating the Data Science Seas: A Journey with Microsoft Fabric

Data science is a vast and exciting field, brimming with the potential to unlock valuable insights. But like any seafaring voyage, navigatin...