Thursday, February 17, 2011

Excel Web Access Error in Sharepoint 2007

I wanted to use Excel Services on Sharepoint 2007 to migrate some of our BI reports from a third party application that we use. So I tried publishing to Excel Services from Excel 2007 assuming that our Sharepoint was setup to be used with Excel Services.
When I tried to publish and open in a browser I started getting an error "Excel Web Access: An error has occurred ".
When I checked the event log the following was logged in the event viewer.

There was an error in communicating with Excel Calculation Services http://sharepoint:56737/SPAdmin/ExcelCalculationServer/ExcelService.asmx exception: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.
[Session: (null) User:[Domain\user].

I have followed all the following steps to get to this stage.

  • I have created a document library
  • Added this document library as a trusted file location
  • Added the document library to trusted data connection libraries
  • Also ensured that the user being used has the proper rights in each of the databases
  • Started the single signon service
  • Ensured that the Excel Calculation service is running

Still the error was persistent. After a lot of struggling for 3 days, I finally fixed the problem by removing the integrated windows authentication option on the ExcelCalculationServer folder from the Office Server Web Services website on IIS.

1 comment:

windows guru said...

Hi Priya, am very happy to find this awesome blog! keep writing!

Windows 2003

INSERT EXEC failed because the stored procedure altered the schema of the target table.

This morning I was trying to call a stored procedure and insert the results in a temp table using the following code  -- create table #...