Today I have attended the free webinar on T-SQL for SLQ Server from Pragmatic Works. This was a fantastic session by Patrick LeBlanc. Even though I had some experience in T-SQL I have learnt a few new things mostly the new features of SQL SERVER 2008. The recorded webinar can be viewed from the resources page and click on View Recording at the relevant webinar.
Interesting things I have learnt from this webinar are as follows:
- If you don't want to type the table names you can drag a table into the query window from the object explorer.
- If you don't want to type the field names you can expand the table and drag the columns folder into the query window from the object explorer and the list of fields of the table automatically appear in the query window.
Set Identity_Insert On or OFF
- You can update an ID column by setting the above variable on for a specific column. But remember to set the value to Off once you have updated the ID column as this works for one table at a time.
SET Identity_Insert tablename ON
Insert INTO (IDcolumn, field1, field2)
SET Identity_Insert tablename OFF
- A very good description (illustration) of rather differnces between, Inner join, left outer join and right outer join.
- The use of output statement
- Grouping Sets feature of SQL SERVER 2008
Hope you also find this resource useful.